Monday, June 30, 2014

First Week in La Grande

Heya,

So La Grande is great.  Different from Enterprise.  But good =)  It's a little more like Weiser.  We live right down town (not that it's very big) but that makes things exciting.  We have a cute little apartment that only has lamps in the front room and the bathroom is in a really awkward spot off the kitchen.  Haha.  Fun stuff =)

So on Monday we went home and unpacked.  Then we went to the church and played that piano.  Sister Mackelprang loves the piano too! So we are getting duets and all this fun stuff and just having a blast on the piano.  It's awesome to have a pianist as a companion!  After p-day I got introduced to the ward mission leaders.

Tuesday I was introduced to some other people.  Investigators mostly, and less actives.  So that was good.  The first week is always overwhelming because you meet so many people and you are expected to know everyone's names and everything about them.  So it's kinda crazy!  I don't remember everyone!  Haha.  We taught a 13 year old named Tekya who got baptized on Saturday.  So we taught her the commandments.  She is moving to Arkansas this week and wanted to get baptized here so we had to cram the lessons in tight in the last 2 weeks.  That was fun.  Then we went on ward splits.  Got to get to know one of the ward missionaries, that was fun.  She is so sweet and funny.  She uses her arms and hands all the time to talk as if she was in a Shakespeare play or something.  It's so funny.

Wednesday we did some yard work at a couple places.  That was fun.  Really nothing stood out though.  So.... ya

Thursday we started working on the bulletin board in the church (which, by the way, is the exact same layout as our church.  Super weird feeling!) to make is all cutsie and put my name up.  Then we taught our investigator, John.  He suffers from some kind of heart problem and other health problems, and depression.  So it's hard to teach him because he only has certain days that he is feeling up to company.  But he says that we make him happy when we come over.  So that's good!  He called us later that day and asked if we could pick up some apple juice for him.  Haha.  Weird request, but we did it and he was very grateful.  After that we did some weekly planning then we went to an investigator named Melissa.  She really wants to get baptized but can't because of some issues.  She was a little bitter at first but seems to be doing better.  It was actually a cool experience when we went to see her.  She knocked on the door and she came out in a robe and didn't look too good.  She said she has had the flu for a couple days and didn't want to get us sick.  So we asked if we could do anything for her and she just said to keep her in our prayers.  So after that she started shutting the door and right before it shut we saw her start crying.  We didn't know what to do because the door was already shut, so we started walking away.  About 100 feet down the sidewalk Sister Mackelprang turned to me and said she felt bad about leaving and that Christ would have given her a hug no matter what.  I agreed and we turned around and knocked on the door again.  She was surprised when she saw us again.  We gave her a hug and she started crying again.  She had just been having a really rough day and wasn't feeling good, was going kind of stir crazy and really really appreciated our visit after that.  We really uplifted her.  It was awesome!  I love being a part of making people happy =)  And if feels really good when you listen to the spirit.  No matter how awkward the situation might be. Hope that made sense!

Friday is Elgin day here.  We cover 3 wards.  Elgin, 3rd ward and 4th ward.  So we went out to Elgin which is about 30 minutes from La Grande.  We talked to some less actives who really loved to see us.  He even started crying a little bit.  It was very sweet.  Then we visited some other less actives.  And I am positive that Sister Mackelprang was being led by the spirit because everyone we saw needed uplifting that day.  Tekya's interview was at the church. Then dinner was interesting.... uh, ya.  I'm just gonna leave it at that.  Haha.  Leave you wondering =)... unless you send me a letter!  Ha! ;D

Saturday was exciting.  We learned a lesson when it comes to baptisms.... So Tekya's mom said she would get the programs and everything (she is a member) so we didn't worry about it.  We learned that we should do everything!  Haha.  It was pretty hectic.  There were only like 5 programs and they weren't in the right order because Tekya's mom gave it over to her dad.  =)  That was fine.  Not a big deal.  The bigger deal.... we had no keys to the baptismal clothes.  So we had no baptism jumpers.  Everyone was trying to call someone but no one was answer (I'm just sitting playing prelude while this is all going on).  So I played prelude for a good 30 minutes.  Then we decided to have people sing hymns while we waited for the key.  Did that for about 10-15 minutes and finally got a key.  So the baptism itself started 45 minutes late.  I don't think it was anyone's fault.  Just poor communication, and the wrong person planning it all.  It all turned out fine, and no one cared that it was late.  But next time we know that the missionaries coordinate it no matter how much the parents want to!  haha =)

Sunday we spoke in 3rd ward.  It went pretty good.  I was nervous more this time than I have been in other areas... just because it doesn't sound like La Grande is the most supportive to missionaries.  A little nerve racking being a missionary, talking about missionary work when the ward members are apprehensive about all of it.  It went well though.  Got some compliments afterwards!  I met the Kingstons cousin!  That was fun =) I don't remember her name though.  She came up to me afterwards and said she had cousins in Trenton.  So that was pretty exciting.  There are a lot of nice people in the wards.  I'm excited to get to know them and help them gain the trust of missionaries again!

So that was my week.  I don't think I told you much about Sister Mackelprang yet.  So she is from Cary North Carolina.  She doesn't have an accent.  She has 2 brothers and 1 sisters, is second youngest.  She thinks that her ancestors just made up her last name.  haha.  She loves chocolate.  Just as much as I do!  She has a lot the same personality as me.  We like to play off eachother's sarcasm and smart alic comments =) So that is a lot of fun.  We laugh A LOT.  She loves playing piano.  Loves doctor who and duck dynasty.  Is an awesome listener.  Is just the sweetest thing.  Might be one of my favorite companions =)  We have so much fun.  I just love her!  It's so nice to be in a duo again.  I wonder how many trios I'm going to be in.  haha!  
I am halfway through my mission this week!  It's so crazy to think about!  I swear each of my planners gets smaller and smaller.  Each transfer gets shorter and shorter.  Summer is almost over and I still feel like it's spring.  Time is just so weird!  Can I just say that I am so excited to tell you all my mission stories in person and explain pictures.  Because I don't know if you read these long emails.  haha.  THey can get pretty boring ;)  I'm excited to show you the videos I've taken too.  One of the things I'm really looking forward to!\

I really hope you all have a fantastic week!  Always follow the spirit.  Even if it's hard.  Because sometimes he asks things of us that we don't feel comfortable doing.  But they will make us learn and grow.  The Spirit will never ask you to do something that you can't do or that would put you in harms way.  So trust him =)

Love you!
Sister Radmall
Double Rainbow!
There is a Walmart here!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment here.